Friday, April 11, 2008

Back in the Land of the Living

It took a week, but I'm back. I had enough strength to shower AND go to the grocery store today! 

Unfortunately, now that I'm back on my feet, my kids have been knocked off of theirs. Emily woke up at 6:00 a.m. and threw up. Peter told us his stomach hurt. I made him some Eggo's for breakfast - he refused to eat them. At that point I knew he was sick - he has NEVER said no to waffles before!

I'll have to post a catch-up post later. I have to get Laura's choice for dinner - California Pizza - out of the oven. It's a Pampered Chef recipe and its real name is Tomato Basil Pizza. I made it once when Shad's step-sister Camille was visiting us from California. She loved it so much that she took the recipe home with her. Ever since then, Emily has called it California Pizza - because her aunt who lives in California makes it. I don't know why Camille gets credit, but there's no understanding a child's logic.


California Pizza

pizza dough (10 oz refrigerated dough, or homemade)
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 teaspoon dried basil
1 garlic clove, pressed
2/3 cup mayonnaise
3 - 4 Roma tomatoes, thinly sliced*

Roll out pizza dough on rectangle baking stone (or greased cookie sheet) to within 1-inch of edge of pan. Sprinkle dough with 1 cup of mozzarella cheese. In bowl, combine 1 cup mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, basil, garlic, and mayo. Arrange tomato slices in a single layer over mozzarella cheese on crust. Spread cheese/mayo mixture over tomatoes. Bake at 375 for 15-20 mins or until top is golden brown and bubbly.

*My kids don't like the tomatoes so I only use 2 tomatoes to cover half of the pizza. I put the cheese mixture over the dough that doesn't have tomatoes as well.

This is how it will look if you only cover half of the pizza with tomatoes.


Laura absolutely loves to cook! Today she told me that she needs this "skill" because when she grows up she's going to be "a big cooker."



Here's my favorite Thick Crust Pizza Dough recipe (Thanks Leah!):


1 1/3 cups warm water
4 teaspoons sugar
1 Tbsp yeast
3 - 4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tbsp shortening
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
1/2 teaspoon oregano (optional)

Mix water, sugar and yeast. Let sit until it begins to foam. Add flour and other ingredients. Knead. Let rise till double. Roll out on pizza stone (or greased pan.) Let rise for 5-10 mins., then cover with toppings. (For normal pizza, bake at 425 for 18-20 mins.)

Laura is choosing to watch Pinocchio tonight. Her brother and sister are doing a version of Pinocchio as a class play and so she wanted to see the movie.




1 comment:

~Jeri Darling~ said...

I'll have to try that pizza! looks yummy....I cant seem to get my kids out of the the habit of requesting grilled hot dogs for their kids choice night..oye! Thats what we had last saturday night..again..then Eric chose to watch a cute movie called SKY HIGH (Super hero kids go to a school in the sky..staring Kurt Russell and a whole other huge cast.) I need a new good recipe to try, so thanks!