Monday, September 01, 2008

What if the Mormons are right?

I was sent an email link to an article in the Belfast Telegraph. It was written by one of their columnists, Eamonn McCann. Apparently, there has been some frustration expressed in Ireland about members of my church using parish records to acquire names to do baptisms for the dead. He starts off the article discussing the Biblical reference to and history of baptisms for the dead (see 1 Corinthians 15: 29).

All of this was interesting, but I just had to share this paragraph from the end of the article. It's too funny!

The key point is, surely, that all religions believe that the soul, after death, at last knows what’s what — whether Hinduism, Free Presbyterianism, Jainism, Judaism, Islam, Catholicism or whatever is the true religion. What if it’s Mormonism? What if it’s an everyday occurrence on the other side that Catholics and Protestants are left standing dumbstruck at the Gates, gasping: “Mormons! Who’d have believed it?” And maybe a wife berating her husband: “There! I told you it would be the Mormons! But would you listen?! Now it’s eternal hellfire for the two of us, I hope you’re satisfied.”



I can just hear that irate wife and 
picture that poor hen-pecked husband!

No comments: