Shad and I rewarded ourselves for surviving my 4 months of teaching by heading up to Durango for a few days, without kids. We stayed at a FABULOUS bed and breakfast, Country Sunshine B&B.

The owners were fabulous. The husband could be a chef - the food was so delicious. We had potato pancakes one morning (which I haven't had since the last time I saw my uncle over 20 years ago) and french toast with coconut maple syrup the next. They always served a heavenly fruit cup with some yogurt and granola on top. The breakfasts really filled you up!

Walter is from Austria and he always had a cookie platter available for guests to munch on (while we were there the cookies were all Austrian recipes and they were heavenly). Also, a true bonus for this dessert lover, every night he would make a dessert for the guests. We could have stayed forever just for the desserts.
The b&b is about 10 miles outside Durango and has trees surrounding it. We enjoyed some birdwatching while we ate breakfast each morning.


Walter and Jody (the owners) had 2 big dogs and Shad had fun playing with them (he loves dogs - the bigger and dumber, the better).
We were so lucky because it snowed for an entire day while we were there. We haven't had a full-day of snow since we left Utah 13 years ago. We took a scenic walk along the river while the snow came down. We were in heaven!

While in Durango, I satisfied a dream I've had for a long-time; we went on a horse-drawn sleigh ride. And it was a one-horse open sleigh! It was fun, even though it was snowing and my coat wasn't waterproof.
If you're ever in Durango and need a suggestion of a restaurant, may we suggest Mutu's Italian Kitchen or Olde Tymers Cafe (they had the best french fries I have ever eaten). There is an amazing bakery, simply named Bread, that we discovered after enjoying the fabulous ciabatta Mutu's served. I asked the waitress where they got their bread from, and she told us about Bread. Divine!
It was such a relaxing trip. Much needed!


4 comments:
Okay, I am jelous!
it is on my list to visit, but maybe in the fall
I'm so glad you got to get out of town for a few days! Looks like you had a wonderful time. I may just look up that B&B when we go in May.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/284034593872
Post a Comment